18 Jan Your Guide to Cooking the Ultimate Tomahawk Steak
Everyone has their preference for cooking a good stead. However, Chorizo de San Manuel’s tomahawk steak sets the standard in taste, presentation, and affordability. We want to share tips and tricks for cooking the perfect tomahawk steak.
This steak is cut from the rib area of the cow. This cut carves into the rib cage for excess meat to get an excellent marbled cut. Before you cook it, make sure to season it with one of our signature seasonings, and leave the steak at room temperature for 45 minutes before cooking. When you are ready, try one of these six cooking methods.
Grilling your tomahawk steak has its own prepared method to ensure good quality:
- Preheat your grill.
- Brush oil on grill grates.
- Place the steak on the hottest part of the grill, and allow searing for 2-4 minutes.
- Flip the steak to the other side with tongs and sear for another 2-4 minutes.
- Move the tomahawk steak to a low-heat part of the grill to continue cooking for 5-15 minutes.
Use a thermometer to check your steak for the desired doneness, for medium rare, remove it from the grill at 120-125 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pan-seared helps you have more control for precise cooking to bring out the best in your steak. Pan-seared steak procedures are as follows:
- Preheat a skillet on medium-high heat with one tablespoon of butter.
- Place steak in the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Spoon butter over the top of the tomahawk steak while searing.
- Check that the internal temperature rashes 120-125 degrees Fahrenheit for medium rare.
If you want your steak to reach a desired doneness, turn down the heat and continue to cook until it reaches your desired temperature.
Tomahawk Steaks in the Oven
This method of cooking is pretty straightforward:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook your steak on a skillet pan for 2-3 minutes, searing each side, then place your steak in the oven.
- Then roast for 8-10 minutes or until the desired doneness is reached
Reverse sear is a method that requires a lot of attention. Although the procedures are relatively straightforward, it’s important to keep an eye on your steak for the best results:
- Preheat your oven to 225∞F or grill on low heat.
- Roast for about an hour or grill until medium rare.
- Preheat an iron skillet with one tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat.
- Sear on each side for 2-3 minutes, spooning the butter over the top continuously.
- Rest on a plate loosely tented with foil for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Be sure to have the right equipment on hand to ensure your sous vide is cooked successfully:
- Add water to your precision cooker and preheat the cooker to 125 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap a paper towel around the tomahawk steak bone and tie it in place with butcher’s twine to prevent it from tearing in a vacuum pouch.
- Add the steak and fresh herbs to the vacuum pouch. Seal the bag with a vacuum sealer.
- Place the bag in the water, ensuring the meat is fully covered.
- Cook for about 3-4 hours until done, although the precious cooker times and steak thickness can affect cooking time.
- Once the steak is done, you can pan-sear on both sides for 3 – 4 minutes for a neat outer crust.
Order Tomahawk Steaks and Prime Beef Products Online
Our meat boxes, tomahawk steaks are just one of our signature exclusive products at Chorizo De San Manuel!
- New York strips
Get a variety of each with a meat gift box available for purchase online here!