16 Jun Flavorful and Unforgettable Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Empanadas!
Recipe courtesy of Alejandra Ramos and photos courtesy of Ghazalle Badiozamani of The Kitchn.com.
There are different types of chorizo empanadas, but one thing they all have in common is that they’re delicious. For today’s recipe, we’re putting a South Texas spin on this very popular Latin American treat. It’ll feature our very own Mexican chorizo brand. This recipe comes to us from blogger and chef Alejandra Ramos, and it’s exquisite!
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1 medium red onion
- 12 oz. of our pork chorizo
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 small handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 16 oz. can of refrigerated flaky biscuits
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Chop the potato, bell pepper, and onion into ¼-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes, season with the kosher salt, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the potato softens.
- Stir in the onion and bell pepper and cook until soft.
- Shred the garlic cloves with a Microplane over the pan and stir.
- Add the chorizo, paprika, dried oregano, and ground cumin. Cook until the chorizo is crisp.
- Remove the pan from the heat and finely chop the cilantro until you have about a quarter cup worth. Stir it into the pan.
- Let the pan cool until it’s lukewarm.
- Set your oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle your counter or clean cutting board and rolling pin with the flour.
- Pull 8 of your biscuits in half. Roll each out to 5 inches wide and 1/8 of an inch thick. Place them on the baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg, two tablespoons of water, a pinch of salt, and whisk.
- Using a pastry brush, slather the egg mix onto the edges of each biscuit.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each biscuit and close it into a half-moon empanada shape. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Brush the empanada tops and edges with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake until the empanadas are golden brown. Refrigerate the second tray until it’s ready to bake.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Be sure to try our other chorizo recipes, most featuring our other flavorful chorizo brands. You can buy chorizo online and have it delivered with our nationwide shipping. We also offer curbside pickup!