31 May Make a Summer Classic: Mexican Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tostadas!
Photo and recipe courtesy of the Food Network.
If you enjoy having breakfast for dinner then this is the recipe for you! Serve up a plate of crispy Mexican chorizo and egg breakfast tostada, along with your choice of salsa or pico de gallo for extra flavor! We would like to thank the chefs at the Food Network Kitchen
for this comfort classic.
- Kosher salt
- 8 large eggs
- 8 tostada shells
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 14.5-ounce can of refried beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups of diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- ½ pound our fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños, finely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon brine
- Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
- Combine the tomatoes, red onion, jalapeños and brine, cilantro, lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Arrange the tostadas on 2 baking sheets and bake until golden brown, rotating the pans halfway through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Divide the refried beans among the tostadas (about 2 heaping tablespoons each); spread evenly, leaving a 1/8-inch border.
- Crumble our Mexican chorizo on top of the beans.
- Return the tostadas to the oven and cook until the chorizo is cooked through about 10 minutes.
- Top with the cheese and continue baking until melted, one to two more minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggs and cook until the whites are partially set, two to three minutes.
- Cover and cook until the whites are fully set but the yolks are still runny, two to three more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the tostadas among plates and top with the tomato mixture, fried eggs, and more cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.